Voting Open: Women’s Advocates nominated for public voted $64,000 award!
Tuesday, April 4
Voting for the third annual Building Community Award is open April 4 to 14. Voting Link
Women’s Advocates is proud to announce that we are one of eight finalists for the third annual Gerry Rauenhorst Building Community Award. The award winner will receive a $64,000 grant from the Opus Foundation®. From April 4th to April 14th, voters can visit this link to show their support for the lifesaving services Women’s Advocates provides. This grant award will assist Women’s Advocates in further advocating for safety and independence in the lives of survivors of abuse and educate the greater Twin Cities about domestic violence prevention.
The following are key statistics about domestic abuse in Minnesota and the five signs that someone may be a victim of domestic abuse:
Top Minnesota Statistics:
- Minnesota averages one domestic violence death per week.
- 1 in 3 homeless women in Minnesota are homeless because of domestic violence.
- 1 in 3 women in Minnesota has or will experience domestic violence in her lifetime.
- Only 17% of domestic assault victims report an assault to the police.
- 96% of domestic assault victims in Minnesota were harmed with a weapon during the assault.
Top 5 Signs that Domestic Abuse is Occurring:
- Extreme jealousy or possessiveness
- Verbal abuse (publicly or privately)
- Extremely controlling behavior
- Control of all the finances
- Control of what the victim wears and how they act
Back to News & Events