How you can help victims of domestic violence
How you can help victims of abuse – Listen to them. Believe them. Let the victim/survivor know you care and that they are not responsible for the abuse. Explain that physical violence or other types of abuse are never acceptable at any time.
What you can say:
- Talking about this must be really difficult.
- I’m sorry this is happening to you.
- No one deserves to be treated like that.
- I’m concerned about you.
- There are people out there who can help and give you information.
- There are a lot of women in your situation.
- You are not the only one who can get help. Abusers need help, too.
What you can do:
Call a domestic violence crisis line. It’s anonymous and free. You can speak with an advocate who will understand: Ours is 24/7/365: 651-227-8284.