Different members from Women’s Advocates’ staff periodically write posts on topics that are relevant to the work we do as an organization. While Women’s Advocates is supported by Grant No. A-CVS-2018-WOMADV-00013, awarded by the Office on Victims of Crime, Office of Justice Programs – the opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Department of Justice or Women’s Advocates as a whole.
Content Warning: The following blog consists of information regarding sexual violence. Please proceed reading with care.
- black women are worthy is a movement inspired by the stories of black women like breonna taylor, serena williams, oluwatoyin salau and every other black woman who deserved and deserves to be loved, respected, and protected at all costs. — founder and director, deun ivory
- this short film is a catalyst for the body: a home for love’s goal of raising $2 million dollars to actualize our vision of serving and growing a community of over 10,000 black women and becoming the standard for trauma-informed care and creative wellness.
- Global Rights for Women’s event Valiant Voices conversation “Honoring Survivors with a Memorial to Art and Healing” (April 8, 2021) featuring advocate Sarah Super and artist Lori Greene.
- You can watch the recording of the event here: https://youtu.be/KIE-Xs4nriA
How you can help & What is being done right now
- Learn more about denim day
- Register for one of Women’s Advocates webinars or support us here
- Get involved in Take Back the Night , the earliest organization and worldwide movement to stand against all forms of sexual violence to Annual take back the night event
- Participate in the National Sexual Violence Resource Center’s #30DaysofSAAM challenge on social media
- Subscribe to Persephone’s Daughters (a survivor-founded & majority survivor-run literary and arts journal for abuse survivors of all gender identities)
- Sign NO MORE’s pledge to end violence and take further action in your community
- Attend events from the Minnesota Coalition Against Sexual Assault or become a member or donate here
- Keep an eye out for Project Sanctuary’s plans for #SAAM 2021
- Listen to Prevent Connect’s podcast about creating safer online spaces in preparation for #SAAM
- Participate in Safe Alliance’s virtual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event and learn more about the organization here
Register for one/all of Women’s Advocates webinars for this month!
- Monday, April 26th, 2021 @ 10am CST Sexual Violence & Healthy Relationships 101 with the Minnesota Coalition Against Sexual Assault (MNCASA)
- Wednesday, April 28th, 2021 @ 7pm CST Empowering You: Having Difficult Conversations with Family: Where to Start
- Watch the ones you missed here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnJmUziwXRys4nmgGRyG1AdrccU7Vqvf5
Organizations that provide educational offerings
Learn more about these interconnected topics by scheduling a presentation or attending a webinar provided by any of the following agencies:
- Sexual Assault: MNCASA, SVC, MDH, TAC
- Human/sex trafficking: Breaking Free and Cornerstone
- Anti-Violence in the LGBTQ community: OutFront MN and Cornerstone
- Anti-Violence in the Trans Community: Family Tree Clinic
- Deaf/Hard of Hearing Community: ThinkSelf
- Engaging Boys and Men in Violence Prevention: Men as Peacemakers