- This event has passed.
The Sky Where You Are: A Gathering for Collective Viewing + Reflection
A collaborative event involving Women’s Advocates, An Opera Theatre (AOT), and Indigenous Roots
Date: Saturday, October 23rd, 2021
Time: 4:00-6:00 pm Central U.S. Time
Doors open at 4pm | Film begins promptly at 5pm
Location: Indigenous Roots Cultural Arts Center
788 E 7th St, St. Paul, MN 55106
Cost: Free RSVP via Eventbrite! Donations are always welcome.
Information about the location:
- Off-street parking and additional parking available down the block
- On the 61 and 74 bus lines
- Wheelchair accessible
- ASL interpretation will be provided
COVID considerations: Masks will be required for the duration of the event regardless of vaccination status. There will be free appetizers offered along with a designated area for eating. We’ll be operating at limited capacity with a maximum of 75 attendees.
**Upon RSVPing and attending this event, you are agreeing to show your vaccination card (or a photo of it) indicating full vaccination status upon your entry at Indigenous Roots. We are asking this of our attendees with the intention of increasing ease and comfort in the space and prioritizing the health and safety for everyone involved.
What is the Sky Where You Are?
- The Sky Where You Are is a short film inducted into the Library of Congress that creatively challenges what folks imagine when they hear “opera” and uses it as a tool of social action to deliver a powerful message about surviving relationship abuse and the people that want to support them.
- The Sky Where You Are was created in collaboration with MN organization Women’s Advocates, the first shelter in the nation for women and their children seeking safety from domestic violence. It brings awareness to women in abusive relationships, specifically in the times of COVID-19 when they may be trapped at home with abusive individuals, and uses opera as a vehicle to explore what to do when you are called upon to help and support someone you know in a domestic abuse situation.
This space is for:
- People who want to be a part of and learn more about the movement to end gender-based violence
- People who care about advocating for social justice and healing for those who have experienced injustices
- People who have been impacted by gender-based violence, directly or indirectly and seek a community space for unity, support, compassion, and empowerment
- Promoting survivor agency, survivors’ ability to choose
- Increasing public consciousness about the dynamics of abuse especially during the pandemic
- Reflection on how art can be a powerful tool for social change and awareness
Important note about sensitive content: This production discusses the experience and impact of relationship violence. Relationship violence is commonly experienced and some of the content may bring up some distressing memories or thoughts for some viewers. Advocates will be present during the event to provide emotional support for any attendee.
**If for any reason you would prefer to view the film online instead of in-person, we are offering a virtual collective viewing event on Wednesday, October 27th, 2021 from 6:30-7:30pm Central U.S. time.